Beetrot juice offers a numer of health benefits – thanks to its unique combination of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, as well as substances with antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic properties. This vegetable has gained considerable popularity when scientists identified its many adventages. They found close links between drinking beetroot juice and reducing inflammation, lowering blood pressure and improving athletic performance.
In today’s article, we will focus on the two most important aspects related to the consumption of beetroot juice – the positive impact on our health (especialli in the period of increased disease) and sports achievements
Beetroot juice contains a wide variety of of essential vitamins, minerals, including:
- Folic acid, necessary for the proper functioning of the hematopoietic and nervous systems,
- Vitamin B6, which supports metabolism and production of red blood cells
- Calcium, an essential mineral for bone growth
- Iron, that enables red blood cells to carry oxygen
- Magnesium, mineral that supports the immune system, heart, muscles and nervous system
- Manganese, which contributes to the regulation of the metabolism and blood sugar levels
- Phosphorus, an essential nutrient for teeth and bones
- Copper, which plays a vital role in collagen formation, bone and blood vessel maintenance, and immune function suport
- Zinc, which speeds up wound healing and supports immune system.
A growing body of research suggests that beetroot may be helpful in lowering blood pressure. Scientists believe that this is due to the nitrate content. Beets naturally contain large amount of nitrate, which the bode converts into nitric oxide. This compound dilates blood vessels, which improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
Beet juice will also work as a prevention against infections, as well as an effective remedy during their duration – beetroot in any form strengthens the body’s resistance to diseases, especially viral diseases. Therefore, it will be perfect in the autumn and winter season, when we need this suport the most!
Improving sports performance
Both athletes and physically active people are looking for natural solutions to improve their performance. Numerous studies show that a diet rich in beetroot has an significant effect on body functions during exercise, so the choice becomes clear. Can it be said that beetroot is legal doping? Yes, because the juice we get from them significantly improves the endurance of the body.
According to the 2017 study Effects of Beetroot Juice Supplementation on Cardiorespiratory Endurance in Athletes. A Systematic Review, nitrates contained in this vegetable can increase sports performance by increasing blood and oxygen flow to the muscles.
In turn 2018 study looked at the effect of betalaine on a group of 28 male cyclists. Half of them received a 100mm of beetroot concentrate every day for a week, while the other half received a placebo. Compared to the placebo group, the beetroot concentrate group had a higher exercise capacity and increased blood flow.
Regardless of the reasons why you decide to drink Beetroot juice – the desire to take care of healthy eating or frequent physical activity – remember that this is one of the best solutions to support the body!